Wednesday, August 18, 2010

There are BABY BUNNIES in my belfry!!!

well, actually, not my belfry, but they're burrowed under my cucumbers...see, here's the deal.  Last Thursday, I had back surgery.  I was told that I could NOT go down to my garden for at least one week.  Now, ya'll, my garden is MY WORLD, so I'd be there no less than 2 times a day, and no less than 30 minutes each time.  So the bunnies and everything knew there was plenty of human movement, therefore, not the safest place to have a family or host a bunny bbq or whatever.  Since my surgery, someone's been to my garden only 1 time, until yesterday, when I sent my girls to 'harvest' the mators and rest of the cukes...the youngest comes scrambling in and said, 'there are newborn bunnies in your cucumbers and the dad got scared and ran out under a hole in the fence.'  o....no....it.....di'ent!   SEE???? THIS is the result of the lack of human contact in a  garden...a rogue gypsy bunny clan moves in....grrrr.  When I'd go down, I'd always look to see any evidence of bunny invaders trying to dig their way under my fence...but since I've not been down there in almost a week, no one's done this, and they seized their opportunity and moved the trailer trash in, and under my cucumbers to boot.  So, here comes the hubs home, the girls get him to go down there...I waddle out to the back deck a'hollerin' about the bunnies and what he planned to do, then he said he was gonna move them...well, I couldn't let that happen, I know they're not birds, but they're newborn and if he moved them then they'd get too cold, the mama might be too scared to retrieve them in time and they'd die, so, I said, 'someone get up here and help me w/my walker' (yep, I sounded like a granny, lol).  15 minutes later, lol, I make it down to the garden, size up the problem, and yep, they truly are newborn, less than 2 inches long and covered in mulch and dirt and stuff cuz the mama was hiding them...so I told the hubs to uncover the hole that he'd covered under the fence where they were getting in at, leave the gate cracked a few inches and just let them get a lil older...in less than a week they'll be scattering and I'll be able to run their furry asses OUT of my cucumber bed and OUT of my garden...that's my plan anyway, we'll see.  The problem is, the watermelons are growing swiftly and need tending to, and those bunnies are gonna just LOVE munchin' on those vines, ughhhhh!  The cucumber patch is pretty much done with, all dried and yellowed leaves, the cukes are turning yellow before they have a chance to get a couple inches long...but my mators?  my mators are in full force and those bunnies better not EVEN think about adding THOSE to their salad bar...they can just stick to the dieing cucumber vines... 
has anyone else had this problem before?  what did you do?  am I even close to being right, that in a week or so they'll be old enough to make them move out into a different trailer trash park? lol

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...