Wednesday, August 25, 2010

baby bunny problem...


Does anyone know if bunnies are like birds, that if a human touches them that the mama will abandon them?  My oldest thought she was doing a good thing on Sunday and tried to corral them back into their burrow so they wouldn't be wandering around the garden, and now there's only ONE baby bunny, no others (there was a total of 5 babies) and no sign of the mama (but apparently all was well yesterday, so I don't think it was the human scent thing, dunno tho).  The lil fella is about the size of a large hamster, so it's old enough to be on it's own...in my garden, apparently.  I looked under the cukes, and there were TWO burrows, one my daughter said she hadn't seen before, but it had a pc of bunny fur in it...no body parts, bones, or anything, so I dunno WHAT that's all about.  I don't know if a cat or fox jumped the 5' tall fence and got to them and took off, or if a bird did, or if the mama took all the other babies and left the last one for some reason...I just don't know.  My brother said he thought for sure that the mama would abandon them due to the scent, but she held more than one of them, and there's only one baby left.  She wants to bring it in to keep it...NOT happening...A) we have cats that would aDORE a bunny-appetizer, and 2) it's a wild animal that belongs outside.  It appears to be old enough to take care of itself, food-wise, and probably continues to burrow into the dirt to stay warm at night, there's plenty of hiding places in my garden amongst the plants and such, and it looks old enough to be weaned.  I don't want to just open the gate and let it out, it'll be picked off in a second, probably before our own eyes...sigh.  The oldest now has to hand water my garden w/a water wand to keep from drowning the lil booger...it's so sad looking tho, all alone, w/out it's mama...I have to say, though, I've not heard it bellerin' for her even once, as you tend to do when the mama leaves the burrow...so, all I can do is hope.  We'll let it get a week older or so, it's not like it doesn't have plenty to eat, as the LIL TURD LIVES IN MY VEGGIE GARDEN! lol  then will open the gate to let it out...it'll be on it's own after that.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...