Wednesday, October 5, 2011

MY version of Country Living's Toile Decoupaged pumpkins!

Last week or so, I done a post about the cover of this month's Country Living magazine with the photo of a pumpkin that was decoupaged with toile.  I got my copy in the mail and read that they used a toile FABRIC.  I have many types of toile fabric, but I really didn't want to use it.  I was afraid of the decoupage medium causing issues with the 'sizing' of the fabric and after awhile it wouldn't look quite right (just paranoid, didn't want to have wasted my resources or time), so I decided to look into it.  My challenge in that post, was to NOT spend ANY more than $2, not to have any of the supplies already (with exception of the modge podge).  So, what did I do?  I went to my local Dollar Tree.  I found several types of pumpkins...

the front 3, and the one on the far left behind the 1st row, were all $1 at Dollar Tree
the back 3 were a few that I got on sale at Joanne's and Hobby Lobby
So, I decided to use the larger pumpkin on the right and this roll of adhesive shelf paper to make my own version of the decoupaged pumpkin.  I cut them in strips to apply them, since the pumpkin is a round object, I knew I couldn't just wrap it and be done.

So I started applying them, then quickly realized that I needed to actually cut the strips to a point, so I cut from the lower right corner in a straight line up to the upper left corner, and continued to apply the strips.

When it was finished, I had a wild idea to add some sparkle, but only had some pink on-hand, lol  I didn't want to get up and dig out the fairy dust (it was a lazy moment).  So here's the final product:

it's final resting far!
Total cost:  $2
Pumpkin Project #2

NEXT, I was pumpkin decorating happy, and continued with the two smaller pumpkins (in the above, 5th pic up) that were a dollar.  I wanted a couple of cute pumpkins that would  fit in with my mercury glass candle holders.  I'd seen a few silver metallic pumpkins at Hobby Lobby, but even 40% was more than I wanted to pay, so I decided to make them.

I took the stems out and put them on top of a shoe box, outdoors.
The pumpkins were each $1 and the metallic spray paint was $3 after my 40% coupon at Hobby Lobby.  Total cost:  $5 for 2.

Here they are with some of my mercury glass decor items.  How do they look?!
Pumpkin Project #3

My final pumpkin project was with a small Funkin that I got at Joanne's Crafts for 57% off, so it was just $3.47, and 10"X10" piece of tissue paper that I'd gotten on after-Halloween-Clearance at Walmart last year in the card section (never forget that section during the Halloween clearance sales), it's Hallmark even.  I'm not counting that into the cost of this project, because I already had it AND it was only a small pc out of the 5 large sheets in the pkg.

This was a simple decoupaged project using Modge Podge.  First, it's tissue paper on a surface that was a bit slick, so I knew I'd have to put some of the medium on the pumpkin to get the tissue paper to stick.

After putting some Modge Podge on the pumpkin, I'd smooth the tissue paper over the spot, and did this all around the pumpkin.  Then I took a dry brush and smoothed out some of the bubbles, trimmed the top around the stem and attached the tissue down with more Modge Podge and smoothed it, then trimmed around the bottom and did the same to flatten it.

Final product:

I haven't quite decided where I want to put it yet, tho.

3 pumpkin projects to total 4 pumpkins for Fall vignettes for only $10.47!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...